Proving once again that the only type of bad publicity is no publicity, the just-released “Gaytanamo” is already turning out to be the most talked-about gay porn movie of the year: the Washington Blade clucked over its “bad taste” back in January, and more recently Queerty posted an email from an outraged porn fan who despite not having actually seen the film (surprise!) claimed that “sensationalizing and sexing up what is happening in Guantanamo Bay is the (sic) like making a porno called ‘Gay-Auschwitz’”. Given the fact that things like torture and prison rape fantasy have been a part of gay porn since at least those old loincloth-sporting Athletic Model Guild loops from the 50s—and that such violent themes remain the fodder for all kinds of mainstream entertainment from movies to TV shows to videogames, and to relatively little complaint—we think the outcry is a case of some of our more oversensitive homosexualist brethren taking things a bit too seriously. What we’re more concerned about is why more people aren’t complaining about that gawdawful pun of a title. Surely we all deserve something better than that.
· “No Respect: The Outcry Over Dark Alley’s Gaytanamo” (Gay Porn Blog)
· “Gaytanamo Draws Fire” (queerty.com)
· “Everyone’s talking about Gaytanamo” and “Dark Alley Media’s black comedy, Gaytanamo, presents perverted play and political parody” (darkalleydirt.com)
· ” Gaytanamo: Messing With Your Head(s)” (Google cache of post @ Gay Sex Blog)
· “Gaytanamo” Trailer (darkalley.com)
· See (er, hear) also: Dark Alley’s Matthias von Fistenberg and Owen Hawk on the Derek & Romaine Show, Wednesday 4/11 (show info @ siriusoutq.com)
Previously: Meet Danny Fox, DVD: Dark Alley Media’s “Gaytanamo”, Bottom Of The Box Porn: “Prison Fuckers”, “Justice”: What Would You Do To Get It?, Chained Heroes, Men In Cages, Hot! Prison! Sex!, More Hot! Prison! Sex!